Sunday, September 26, 2010

I'm sorry, did you say Groundhog Day?

Oh, yeah, that's right, before I even say it, you know where I am going with this post, right?!!  Oh yes, so predictable is my life.  Things were going so swimmingly - I updated the profile, got the veezual images happening, got a few dates, met what I thought was an alright kind of guy.  And then, the reality check.

You know, it was just like that book, "He's just not that into you".  Initially, he was Mr Enthusiasm coming out with the whole nine yards - cutesy text messages, phone calls, hand holding, lunchtime visits at work, and then, you guessed it.  All the usual lines:

"No, I really do like spending time with you."  It's just that I don't want to do it that often.

"I have been wanting a relationship like this for such a long time."  What? One where you don't have to make any adjustments yourself and have the world revolve around you!  Yeah, everyone wants one of those!

"You know, I just have to think about what I really want."  Really?  What have you been doing the last five years since you got divorced?  You've got a navel, right?  Try staring into it every now and then.

"I just need some time on my own.  I don't want to date or see anyone."  Weird, I could have sworn it was your profile back up there in online dating world five minutes after this conversation.

"I'm sorry, I just can't see a long term future."  We are so on the same wave length.  I can't see a long term future for you either because when I see you crossing the street, I'll take the opportunity to practice my latest boxing combination on you.

To be honest, I know that I've dodged a cannonball sized bullet with this one, but I really thought I was past this kind of anguish.  It seems not.

With much reassurance, compassion and comforting words from family and friends, I am back up online myself, albeit treading with more caution and hopefully a bit more wisdom.

Wish me luck!!

No comments: